Thursday 3 July 2014

Henri Cartier-Bresson... Wow!

So, I have been doing a personal study in graphics and chose to explore 'The Development of Urban Photography' and came across this piece by Henri Cartier-Bresson. I have to say I had never really looked at photography from before the 1950's as I found a lot of it was very cliché. That been said, I am a sucker for the works of Henri Cartier-Bresson and I am thoroughly amazed!
The layer upon layer of detail incorporated in this piece is astonishing considering the distinct lack of developed technology in the 1930s. I love how the photograph contradicts the stereotypes of Paris at the time. The backdrop displays nothing but  shabby scenery in a supposedly middle-class/tourist section of Paris and the silhouettes have no identity where the people are supposedly distinguished, lavish and out-going. 
Photography from the earlier days may not be everyone's cup of tea but I think this piece should be an exception! Henri is certainly a talented man, with nothing but a simple camera and a head for photojournalism!



No comments:

Post a Comment