Sunday 6 July 2014

The Shawshank Redemption: My Review.

This film HAS to be one of the  planet's most rated films. But i'm gonna rate it some more...
There's nothing I can really say that hasn't already been said but I never get tired of reading reviews on The Shawshank Redemption. For those of you who haven't already seen it (And I would highly recommend it if you haven't) the plot is based upon a man that is falsely convicted of killing his wife and her "bit on the side". Whilst inside the prison, Andy soon realises there's no real escape. Brooks, a friend he makes on the inside, was set "free" from Shawshank institution only to commit suicide due to the fact he just couldn't get to grips with everything that had changed since he was summoned to the cells 20 years beforehand. Andy also befriends a character named Red who proves to be very inspirational.
For those who have seen it, I apologise about the recap, so here goes the review...
I think its absolutely fantastic how the idea of freedom is portrayed throughout the movie, even when Brooks is released, he feels so isolated by a society that has changed so much that he feels he has no other option but to take his own life (ironically the crime that landed him in jail in the first time). "Maybe I should get me a gun and rob the Food-Way, so they'd send me home.", the message in the film is so powerful, the idea of 'prison' being homely and safer than the outside world left me gob-smacked. Why? Because in reality, its the truth. Most communication that's had between an inmate and an ex-inmate is through letters, emphasising the disconnection from the 'inmates family'.
Skipping to all my key favourite parts (I don't want to bore you for too long!), Andy later manages to escape through a hole in his wall covered up by a photograph of Marilyn Monroe provided by Red, which I think shows a real turning point in the power of women. Some argue this is controversial as it objectified women however in reality, Marilyn Monroe was the one that allowed Andy his freedom. Red earns the respect of the viewers right from the get-go so its no surprise that we're all weeping tears of joy when he's finally released from Shawshank. For me, he is the main source of hope in the film. And it is hope that keeps the inmates together.
Anyway, I could go on for ever but the film really  speaks for itself so no matter how old you are, what films you're normally into go out, grab a copy and put your feet up! Its a truly magnificent film with a fantastic performance from both Freeman (as usual) and Robbins, it had me riding the infamous emotion roller-coaster right the way through.
As always, thanks for taking the time to read this! I'll finish with my favourite quote from the film:

"I have trouble sleeping at night. I have bad dreams, like i'm falling. I wake up scared. Sometimes it takes me a while to remember where I am. Maybe I should get me a gun and rob the Food-Way, so they'd send me home. I could shoot the manager while I was at it, sort of like a bonus. I guess I'm too old for that sort of nonsense anymore. I don't like it here. I'm tired of being afraid all the time. I've decided not to stay. I doubt they'll kick up any fuss. Not for an old crook like me." -Brooks Hatlen


Thanks again, Abbey.

No comments:

Post a Comment