Monday 7 July 2014

Photo of the Day: Robert Frank

Today's Photo of the Day is by Robert Frank, an American photographer from the 1950's. I thought I would share his work with you as I believe, similarly to Henri Cartoer-Bresson, he has moulded the way we look through the lens. Frank never used staged photography, and applaud him for that because what he has created with a simple camera and no organisation is astounding. Frank was a controversial post-war photographer and he gained his status as controversial through his depiction of America's inequality with black people, native Americans and women. This piece I'm showing you is, in my opinion, one of his greatest shots. The ambiance of America is really captured, in such an ordinary setting, so much isolation and alienation shines through each windowpane. Frank was never discriminative against anyone however he picked up on the social tension in society and I think this photograph is the best representation of what he saw. The black people show no emotion, but of course- what emotion could they possibly show? In a time where they were looked down on like diet on the bottom of a shoe, they didn't hold much hope. 

This piece is pretty much self explanatory so I won't go on for too long but if you do have a spare minute, check out "The Americans", which is a picture book published by Frank containing all of his most powerful pieces, and powerful they are!!

Thank you as always for taking time to read this, I'll be back soon! 

Abbey. 

No comments:

Post a Comment